Sunday, April 19, 2009

Day 47 (6 weeks, five days. Or something like that)

I've felt great these past few days. I'm even experiencing moments where I feel normal when walking. Doesn't last more than about 300 meters but I'm sure my endurance will continue to build up!

The big change that really has my spirits up is I am now doing laps at the pool. I was cleared to start trying a light flutter kick. Sounds pretty simple but it wasn't at first.

Mireille picked up a blue flutter board to match her bathing suit. (What? What's wrong with that?) Anyway, she delicately starts bending and straightening her legs against the water. Her eyes were fixated to the other end of the pool. Her motivation was greater than ever. She was determined to do 25 meters. She kicked and kicked and kicked...

And noticed that she hadn't even made it past the first flag. A small push with the good leg fixed that. And she kicked and kicked and kicked...

And realized she was going backwards.

Now, it might sound like I'm exaggerating but trust me I'm not. After a lot more effort, Mireille made it to the other end. I am happy to report that she is now up to doing ten laps.

No comments:

Post a Comment